Monday, April 11, 2011

Starting your Family Tree

The first thing you will need to do is visit one of the websites I listed below.  Start entering names for your tree. Start with yourself, siblings, your parents and grand parents. Get the information entered into a secure website or a computer program. The easiest way to get information written down is either through a computer program or a website such as Ancestry.ca or My Heritage.com. Once you start your tree online you can get your family involved. Invite them to look at your tree online and they can help add to it for you. You can also start taking advantage of these websites to find your family. There are millions of family trees listed with these website that are searchable. It is very user friendly and I am sure you will enjoy the process. I have found many many websites that have helped me find not only people, but geographical information as well.
So first of all here is a list of places you can visit to get started.
www.ancestry.ca
www.familysearch.org
http://www.myheritage.com/ Offers an excellent downloadable *free* program to get you started.
http://www.genealogy.com
Once you get started you won`t want to stop. It is an ongoing process that you can keep coming back to and constantly find new information.

3 comments:

  1. Cool post and some good links! I'm lucky to have a mom and uncle who have done extensive genealogy so there's not much left for me to do! This is a great concept for a blog, though! I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can verify that once started you wont want to stop. I have been doing mine for 11 years now and can safely say I am addicted. Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to blogging! I definitely could've used this information when I was first starting. :) I still haven't checked out some of those sites. Are you interested in Canadian genealogy? (I noticed your link was to Ancestry.ca not .com)

    ReplyDelete